Here are two recent Irish charity videos:
The Irish Cancer Society video is so average because:
- It’s all “We we we”. We launched this, we did this. No you didn’t! Your donors did!
- There are so many numbers…so many stats.
- As much as I like their CEO, he shouldn’t be in the video. And get rid of the fundraisers too. Give me more nurses! Give me more service users!
- Get rid of words and phrases like ‘Strategic plan’, ‘incognisant’, ‘collaborative’, ‘oncologist’.
- Thank you count = 0
The IMNDA video is so good because:
- It’s all thank yous
- So many service users, so many nurses. Not a CEO in sight!
- It’s filled with real people with first names. No surnames!
- Real descriptions of how they spend money, spoken like humans.
- It’s so cheesy and cute!
When you’re making a video for your charity (and you should be…you only need a phone) there is one simple thing to remember. It is a bitter pill to swallow but it is really one of the most important things in fundraising: